Spring is here and temperatures are on the rise. Flowers are in bloom. The grass is green. And, perhaps most importantly, the All-New 2017 FIAT® 124 Spider is about to pop its top and return to U.S. highways and byways. With the iconic roadster set to begin arriving at FIAT dealerships early this summer, here’s everything you need to know about the 124 Spider to start planning your perfect summer drive.
The all-new 2017 FIAT 124 Spider combines the iconic design of the original 124 Spider with a cutting-edge platform. Up front, a large, hexagonal-shaped upper grille is flanked by aggressive-looking headlamps, and a long hood is adorned with a double grooved indent inspired by the original. The side silhouette features muscular fender surfaces, while rectangular, horizontal taillamps over dual outboard-mounted exhaust tips complete the look.
Overhead, all models receive a manual soft top. The black cloth top features a sound-absorbing headliner to optimize NVH performance, and features an assist spring for easy one-handed operation right from the driver’s seat. Also, the power side windows automatically lower a few inches when the lock levers are operated to raise or lower the top, making operation easier and more convenient.
Inside, the premium look and feel of the materials is immediately evident. Soft-touch surfaces on the instrument panel and door inserts create a premium feel, and the driver-oriented cockpit puts all instrumentation within easy reach.
All 2017 FIAT 124 Spider models will feature the proven, powerful 1.4L MultiAir® Turbo engine — the same screamer that’s powered the latest iterations of the FIAT 500 Abarth and Abarth Cabrio. Pumping out 160 horsepower (164 horsepower on 124 Spider Abarth models — more to come on that later) and 184 pound-feet of torque, the 1.4L MultiAir Turbo four-cylinder engine features a low-inertia turbocharger — powered by exhaust gases that otherwise would be lost through the tailpipes — that compresses intake air up to 22 psi, while twin intercoolers cool the air and make it more dense. This all adds up to enhanced combustion and power output.
All of this power is sent to the rear wheels — as is appropriate in a classic Italian roadster — via either a standard sweet-shifting six-speed manual transmission or optional AISIN® six-speed automatic. The rear-wheel-drive architecture, near-perfect front-to-rear weight distribution and a low center of gravity combine to deliver dynamic performance and a light driving feel.
Providing the cushion from road imperfections is a double-wishbone front and independent multilink rear suspension system, while a double-pinion electric power assist system (DP-EPAS) rack-and-pinion steering system transfers the driver’s input to the road. Stopping power is provided by standard 11-inch ventilated front and solid rear disc brakes.
At launch this summer, the FIAT 124 Spider will be offered in two trims: Classica and Lusso. Classica models, starting at just $24,995*, include all of the features necessary for a true Italian roadster experience. Standard features include:
- Manual Black soft top
- Halogen headlamps/daytime running lamps and LED taillamps
- Power exterior mirrors with body-color mirror caps
- 16-inch painted Silver aluminum wheels with 195/50R16 performance tires
- Dual stainless steel exhaust tips
- Keyless Go start/stop push-button ignition and remote keyless entry
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob
- Black premium cloth seats with four-way manual adjustment
- Soft-touch instrument panel and door panel inserts
- FIAT Radio 3.0 with AM/FM, Bluetooth® connectivity, four speakers and USB and auxiliary port connectivity
- Driver information digital instrument cluster display
- Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Options on Classica models include the FIAT Connect 7.0 system with 7-inch touchscreen display, ParkView® rear back-up camera†
integrated into the rearview mirror, and Keyless Enter ’n Go — all of which are included in the available Technology Collection.
For those wanting a little more luxury to go along with their top-down drive, Lusso models, starting at $27,495*, add the following amenities as standard equipment:
- Automatic headlamps
- Fog lamps
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Dual chrome-finish exhaust tips
- Premium Silver A-pillar header and roll-bar finish
- ParkView rear back-up camera† integrated into the rearview mirror
- Keyless Enter ’n Go
- Stainless steel sill scuff plates
- 17-inch premium aluminum wheels painted Silver with 205/45R17 performance tires
- FIAT Connect 7.0 with 7-inch full-color touchscreen display, an SD card reader and multimedia control knob
- Heated leather-trimmed seats in Nero (black) or Saddle
- Automatic temperature control
Lusso models also offer two option packages for those that want to dress their 124 Spider to the nines.
- Safety & Comfort Collection:
- Auto-dimming, heated exterior mirrors
- Blind Spot Information System with Rear Cross Path Detection‡
- ParkSense® rear park assist system†
- Auto-dimming rearview mirror
- Security Alarm
- Universal Garage Door Opener
- Premium Collection — includes everything in the Safety & Comfort Collection, plus:
- Bose® Sound System with 9 speakers including subwoofer
- LED adaptive front headlamps with automatic-leveling system and headlamp washers
- LED daytime running lamps
- GPS navigation system
- SiriusXM® Satellite Radio
Oh, and remember that Abarth mention above? Coming later this fall, the FIAT 124 Spider Abarth (starting at $28,195*) will arrive to inject even more power and performance into the Spider lineup. In addition to the extra oomph provided by its specially tuned 164-horsepower MultiAir Turbo engine, the 124 Spider Abarth adds/replaces to Lusso’s standard equipment:
- Unique front and rear fascias
- Sport-tuned quad-tipped exhaust system
- Gun Metal exterior mirrors, A-pillar header and roll-bar finish
- Black side rails
- 17-inch Gun Metal aluminum wheels
- Front strut tower brace
- Mechanical limited-slip rear differential
- Bilstein® frequency selective damper shock absorbers
- Perforated leather-trimmed sport steering wheel
- Sport Mode selector
- Aluminum-accent sport pedals
- Dark instrument panel accents
- Nero leatherette-trimmed sport seats with microfiber inserts
Options on Abarth models include a Brembo® four-wheel-disc performance brake package for enhanced stopping power. It includes monoblock aluminum four-piston Brembo front brake calipers and red-painted calipers at all four corners. Also available are full leather-trimmed seats in Nero or Rosso/Nero, or leather-trimmed Recaro® racing seats with Alcantara® inserts in Nero.
And like Lusso models, the Spider 124 Abarth offers the available Safety & Comfort Collection as well as the Luxury Collection (which includes the same high-end features as the Lusso Premium Collection).
The FIAT 124 Spider offers six exterior color choices to perfectly match your individual style:
Want to learn more? Head to fiatusa.com for all of the latest details. Better yet, visit the FIAT 124 Spider Build & Price site to build your own 124 Spider to your exact specifications. Share a screen grab of your build in the comments below, or share at the FIAT social media channels.
- Bianco Gelato
- Bianco Perla (not available on Classica)
- Bronzo Magnetico (not available on Abarth)
- Grigio Argento
- Grigio Moda (not available on Abarth)
- Nero Cinema
*MSRP excludes destination, taxes, title and registration fees. Starting at price refers to the base model, optional equipment not included. A more expensive model may be shown. Pricing and offers may change at any time without notification. To get full pricing details, see your dealer.
Always check entire surroundings visually before backing up.
Always check visually for vehicles before changing lanes.